Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Driving Along In Our Automobile....

Holy Cow!  We made it to Albuquerque, NM.  We drove through OK, TX, and parts of NM.  I have an imprint on my eyes of long, flat fields, cows, more cows, windmills, and did I say long flat fields?!

We are going to spend the next two days relaxing, doing laundry, seeing lots of family and a few sites!

Our morning started off well, as we got out the door early...7:30am!  We stopped a few hours in at the Cherokee Nation Trading Post.  The Cherokee was a large part of the plains life. It was a fun stop.  We also drove past the stockyards in Oklahoma City.  Its the largest stockyard in the country and is a huge area for the sale of cattle.

Our drive down I44, first brought lots of cattle and we were lucky enough to see a roundup! We also saw lots of Hay production and then these round lush circles of corn.  Yes, circles of corn.  The watering equipment goes around in a circle and creates these beautiful green spots in a land of dry yellow.  I was amazed.

When we crossed into TX, the landscape turned again into a dry, dusty, ranches.  As we crossed over all I could picture was a good western movie.  I could visualize the cowboys riding across the plains, keeping an eye out for Indians.

In TX, we stopped at the Big Texas Steakhouse.  Its a tourist trap, but what fun!  We ate subpar food, but laughed and played for a good portion of an hour.  Check it out!

New Mexico, was a welcome site!  It started out flat and bushy, but as we got closer to Albuquerque the Mountains arise from the background. 

I am amazed by the amount of semi-tractor trailer trucks on the road. They have a huge presence.  As Andy noted: "Its the way we move our country." Agreed!

We are with family now and getting ready for a lovely BBQ.  Its T's birthday today!  They live across from a park and it doesn't matter what city we stop in a playground is a welcomed sight. 

Tomorrow we visit the New Mexico Museum of Natural History and Science and hopefully the splash park!

Round Up the Cattle


Oklahoma Wind Mill

Hay Production

Windmills

Green corn circles

Green corn circles

Amarillo, TX Big Texas Steakhouse





Cadillac Ranch Amarillo, TX


Texas

New Mexico, flat lands

Finally Mountains.

2 comments:

  1. I love, love, love your blog. I'm so jealous of all your adventures! I'm so happy you guys are having such a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jess! Hope your summer is going well!

    ReplyDelete