Sunday, July 28, 2013

Last Weekend In July

The last weekend in July...can you believe it?  I didn't think July would ever come for our big move and now it has come and gone and seems like yesterday that we were saying goodbye.  I am sure I will reliving our trip across country for the next year.  We did so many neat things and saw so much.  I learned a ton about the United States and found places I didn't think existed and can't wait to go back.

We've spent the weekend getting our feet under ourselves.  We started a to do list of the house and are working first on replacing the carpeting and figuring out the other types of flooring for the kitchen/bathrooms.  The outside of the house will need some new stain/paint as well, but that will be for next year. Our list isn't long and I am sure within the next year we will have most of it done.   We are excited to be homeowners for the first time in a long time.  Our street is eclectic  with single family homes for the most part and then on the end small apartment/duplexes on the end.  In Alaska they also don't deliver mail to each house, so each street has its own box in the middle.  I am finding we seen people head that way frequently.

 The sun came out today for the first time and it was heavenly.  We have met another family with two little girls and they have spent time with us at open swim and on the playgrounds.  We have eaten at the four  restaurants on the island and I have to get used to the price difference.  I realize we are on an island but when Hamburgers start at 14.00...YIKES.  The local farmers market was fun on Saturday. It was small and lively. Lots and lots of green leafy veggies and the largest Zucchini I have ever seen. Its labeled Super Zucchini. HUGE.

A couple of notes...yes its light out for most of the night.  The temperature high has been 61 degrees.   I already signed Molly up for swim lessons starting next week for a two week period before school starts.  It will give us a little something to do.  We also have Coast Guard Day and the new family welcome on base.

We hope to get out fishing in the next two weeks before the "REDS" stop running for the season. As with all new moves it takes time to feel a part of a community.  It's hard to get lost and people are very friendly.


No comments:

Post a Comment