We hurried up to the Pursers office for a room assignment. We are so thankful and lucky to have not only a four berth unit but a window. It's a small and functional room. Upon exploring the ship I wouldn't want to be in a two bunk roomette or without a window. I am also amazed at how many people are camping out on the decks and chairs.
One of the more humorous exchanges took place between Andy and the Chief Steward. One of our bunks is missing a plastic knob on the level to release the bed. Amelia promptly cut her hand on it so Andy went and asked if a plastic knob could be found. The Chief Steward looks Andy directly in the eye and says "I was just told we are all out of plastic knobs." REALLY?!
Andy kept a straight face and we got a temporary solution of duck tape but an hour later we had the correct knob in place. I am just wonder whose room she took it from :).
Things to do on the ferry are very limited. There is very little frills or comforts. The ship is clean. I am glad we brought food on with us as the cafe is functional, edible, but very expensive.
It seems most people are waiting for a whale sighting. We did see some flipper action and a spout off in the distance but nothing extreme. I also glimpsed a seal out our window but it happened so fast!
There are a range of families, single backpackers, wandering souls, and middle aged/ retired people onboard. I think if I was vacationing I'd take a cruise ship instead :).
In fact I am realizing Amelia is the wrong height and keeps bumping, tripping and falling into everything.
wow! great information. we are seriously contemplating a trip to alaska next summer and david REALLY wants to do the ferry. Do they not do room assignment before you get there? so you don't know what kind of room you'll get? that might be a deal breaker for me. I'm also looking into real cruises. Can't wait to hear more about it....and the rest of your adventures!
ReplyDelete