Sunday, August 18, 2013

Sunday Funday at Anton Larsen Bay

So....I had big plans today to get Andy to tackle the drainage of the yard.  He instead convinced us to go on an Adventure with him.  With so few sunny days left, how could I say no. There will be many rainy, icy days ahead so things like hanging the paper towel holder can wait, along with pictures etc... It was time to explore.

Once you get onto Anton Larsen Bay road there is a warning regarding the road.  In the summer its not bad, but I can imagine in the winter it's un-passable.  Pretty quickly the road turns from  paved to gravel and its windy through the mountains.  Today the mountains were a bright emerald green with peeks of waterfalls.  I felt as though a bear would jump out at us, but fortunately they are very shy animals.  I also felt as though I could be anywhere in the Maine backwoods.

Andy started casting at the roads end on Anton Larsen right away.  The fish were jumping!  Within about 30 minutes I am chasing Amelia and Andy is hooting and hollering about a fish on.  I am thinking, oh great another Pink.  He keeps exclaiming how big the fish is he has on the line.  Of course, the girls and I miss the spectacular show but saw him land it!  I can't even being to tell you how excited Andy is about this fish...or if you know Andy; you can imagine it!  Coho Salmon are the last to run up river and they generally average about 7lbs, therefore; a 12 pounder is impressive.  These fish are also really good eating!

After our fishing excitement we headed to Buskin Lake.  Here there is a weir. A weir I learned today is: A weir /ˈwɪər/ is a barrier across a river designed to alter its flow characteristics.  In this case, it lets the fish up to spawn in the lake but they can't get back.  It was packed and the fish/game does a count.  We also saw the cycle of life, I thought the Pink Salmon had a disease, but after the fish spawn they start to decompose.  Its pretty nasty.

Mike Rowe of Dirty Jobs, did a show of a dead salmon count in Northern California. I wish I could find the episode.  Maybe one of my followers can find it :

We hope to get a few friends and family up to visit next summer to partake in the Salmon Run. Enjoy the pictures!


Buskin lake and the ocean

Waterfall

Start of Anton Larson




Emerald Isle

The Weir

Loads of Fish


Tired fisherman

On the Ocean...playing, sleeping and fishing.

No comments:

Post a Comment