Sunday, August 11, 2013

A Summer Day In Kodiak

We have officially been in Kodiak about two weeks.  Today was a picture perfect day on the Island.  It was a balmy 70 degrees outside with bright sunshine and blue skies.  It was a great day to go exploring and have some fun. 

We left about 10am and went to Monaska. A local beach, river area and the drive is lovely. The kids and I are sure to spend time out here with a picnic and tide pooling.

Monaska Bay


A giant jellyfish


Next stop, the Kiwanis Kids Pink Salmon Fishing Derby.  Ages 15 and Under along the Buskin River.  An easy and local spot to fish.  Entry is only 1.00 and includes lunch, a hat, safety glasses and free lure :O!  It was awesome.  We ate lunch first and then hit the river.  Unfortunately, after an hour we hadn't caught a fish.  I imagine its because the fish had way too many choices on dining options. When we the left the largest fish was 5.7lbs.

Wow. A lot of kids!

parents could help cast but kids had to play and land the fish

Geared up and ready


We went on our adventure to the American River.  I wanted to drive around the Island. Its about 1.5 hours to Chiniak and Pasagshak.   The American River is a fresh water and perfect for Pink Salmon this time of year.  It was crystal clear and a beautiful day to be waterside.  Andy perfected his technique and choice of lure, while Molly had the thrill of catching a big one!  Amelia found herself busy with rocks either building towers, throwing in the river or skipping.  I had fun soaking in the sun and handing out fishing tips (I forgot my license at home :/).


American River

fish on


clear water. these fish are home free, as they are above the bridge

My favorite picture. Molly with a fish on!



We finished the drive to Surfer's Beach. It was spectacular, and completely unexpected.  The pacific ocean side of the Island.  A few surfers and several seals playing in the water.


Large, tubular looking Kelp. Very strange stuff.

A seal



canning salmon.


A long day but with happy kids and parents.  Our doorbell rang at just about 9pm from the local kids looking to play with Molly. Already asleep. I also learned not too be fooled by sunny days, as I left my windows open in the car last night and it rained.


No comments:

Post a Comment